Friday, October 07, 2005

autism and scientology

i talked a bit with jackie last week about my project and she mentioned a couple of guys who i should look up:
Steve Quartz - a paper on modularity and neuroscience he gave at some Pitt Biology or Centre for Philosophy of Science conference...
Jesse Prince - something about folk psychology experiments...

I looked up Steve Quartz, but haven't found any papers on-line yet. I ordered his book. it was $2 used. I've also downloaded a few papers that he's using for a course he's teaching (or already taught) on neurophilosophy. now i'm checking out some of the readins from a course he (or his lab?) is teaching on autism. maybe autism would fit into this project somehow. perhaps in a similar way to Williams Syndrome, it's explained as a developmental disorder where a "mental module" is missing. I hadn't thought about connecting this project to autism, but since it is a favourite topic of mine, that might work out well. I guess I was conceiving of the neuro-development work I'd be getting into as being more fine-grained. but looking at more coarse grained problems would probably work a lot better if i'm starting from Fodor, since his modularity of mind theory is at a high level. If I get too into the nitty gritty, there would be a big gulf between what I'm supposed to be critiquing and the evidence I'm looking at. I also ordered a cheap used book about synaptic connections and how they create/are/whatever our "selves" or our sense of self or something. unrelated to this project, but it would be good to read that sort of palatable science book about neurochemistry before i dive into serious course work on those topics (probably next semester).

all i've found so far about Jesse Prince is that someone with that name used to be the 2nd in command of the church of scientology. hopefully the wrong guy.

ok. i found the Quartz paper Jackie was talking about. her website came up in my google search and the name of the paper was in there.

now to do some reading.

1 Comments:

Blogger cs said...

the Quartz book arrived, and after a glance at the table of contents, it looks like it might not be that useful. Seems like it's got a current events sort of slant and is aimed at a very general audience. or maybe there is good stuff in there and the packaging is deceiving.

3:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home